Next Class Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reading Test Taking Super Star




Last year when I was in 2nd grade, I found out that "learning to take a test" was like learning to read, learning to ride a scooter, learning to play a sport...it takes lots of hard work and practice. Every week we learned a different test taking strategy based on what our class needed help with the most. Our teachers told us not to focus on the grade, but to focus on "doing our best on the test" by using all the cool test taking strategies we were learning. That way, when we finished our test, we would be proud of our hard work. But you know what? When I used the test taking strategies, I got really good grades too. Now I'm in 3rd grade. On the first test, I decided to use the same test taking strategies I learned last year (whisper...because I have the same teachers and I wanted them to be proud of me). I worked really hard on the test. Some of my favorite strategies from last year were: the Hugs and Kisses strategy (X-kiss the answer goodbye if it was wrong, O-hug it and keep it close if I'm not sure), Plug-It-In strategy (plug-it-in, plug it in-Does it make "scents"? when finding a synonym for a word in the story) and Policeman strategy or Stop and think...is what I'm reading making sense?. When I was finished I knew I put forth my very best effort. Guess what? Not only did I make a good grade,but I'm the first student this year to get "Test Taking Strategy Super Star!" What does that mean? I got my hair sprayed with gold glitter,I wore a glitzy cape all day, I got paid five behavior bucks, and my strategy work was put up on the wall. Most kids hate taking tests but I am "empowerd" with test taking strategies so I can show what I know and let the good grades flow!

Posted by: A.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great Job Amanda!!

Lexi Kantor said...

Way to go Amanda!!

Amanda G. said...

Well,I am the "READING TEST TAKING STRATEGY SUPERSTAR! I loved the glitzy cape I wore,I still miss it! Thank you Mrs.Shaffer and Nelson!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Job Amanda, keep up the great work!!! Auntie April

Anonymous said...

I like how you made the words bigger when they need to be bigger

ainsley said...

GREAT JOB AMANDA YOU ARE AMAZING/.