Next Class Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Blessing of the Books



Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia...
On Fridays our class holds "the blessing of the book" ceremony if a student donates a new (or gently used) book to our class library. These books can't be just any old book, but it has to be special in some way to the person that donated it. The student glues their picture on the inside cover with a written reason why this book was chosen. Reasons might include: it was an "I CAN"T-PUT-IT-DOWN" book, it was a favorite series, it was written or singed by my favorite author, I learned more about sharks than I ever thought I could, it made me laugh until my belly ached, it made me cry a waterfall of tears, etc. These books will be kept in a special place on display but can be "checked out" by one of our librarians for other students to read. When checked out using the "old fashion" library cards, there will be a one week due date. If the student doesn't return the book by the due date, they will have to pay the librarians a behavior buck. Also, our teachers said, "wouldn't it be cool if one day our own children went to school at Chets Creek and when they opened a "Blessing Book," there was a picture of their mom or dad when they were a student in 3rd grade?"

Posted by librarians E and R

5 comments:

Lexi said...

This was so much fun! I loved donating my books
to our class.
:))
Lexi

Kirsten said...

OOOOO!
I love this picture of Lexie Rebbeca Eryca and Ainsley! I wish I was in it!

eaven said...

it was funny when everyone said 'bless the book'.

Amanda G. said...

Bless the books!

Amanda G. said...

I love it when my classmates bring in books for our class library! I love all those series I just can't stop reading them! Thank you so much!