Next Class Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Narrative Writing


Writer's Workshop is one of my favorite times of the day. We have learned about many different genres of writing. This past week we revisited Narrative Writing to see how we have grown as writers. Throughout the year, students participated in a series of mini-lessons focused on specific skills such as engaging beinnings, focusing on a moment, adding specific details and using dialogue. Many read alouds were done to emphasize these specific author's crafts.

We are so proud of how our students have grown as writers and have come to LOVE writing! Many students have even started writing their own chapter books :).

Here are a few examples of how some students chose to engage their readers.

It was a hot, sweaty, make you melt like a popsicle summer day. It was 12:00 noon and Carrie said, "I'm" pant...pant, "So..." pant...pant, "So HOT!" Even though she loves summer, it was 100 degrees, that was very hot. Her mother asked her, "Do you want to go to the swimming pool?" "Oh definitely yes!" Carrie replied. So the next day Carrie went to the swimming pool and she wore a white swimsuit with multi-colored flowers on it and pink goggles.

One bright, sunny day I was riding my bike with my BFF, Courtney to her house from Oklahoma town center. I whistled a little tune and Courtney joined in. We were riding home as fast as a cheetah because we REALLY wanted some of the DELICIOUS chicken noodle soup Courtney's mom made every Wednesday afternoon. "Hey, Courtney. (pant,pant) I need a (pant) rest break (pant,pant)," I huffed. "Well, now is a good time because we're about to enter Main Street and there is a ton of rest blocks there," Courtney replied with a smile. My feet were pedaling slower. "Alright, here we are!" Courtney said. We were starting to get off our bikes, but Courtney froze like a popsicle. "Courtney, come on, walk.Wait...Are you OK?" Courtney didn't answer. "Courtney!!!" I screamed while shaking her. She looked up at the sky, then at me. Courtney, what's wrong with the sky?" I said with no good feeling in my body. Then I got COMPLETELY nervous. My heart was pounding SUPER fast, I was not breathing well, I couldn't control myself. "Amanda, do you know htere is a TORNADO coming after us?" Courtney said with chills going down her spine.

1 comment:

Amanda G. said...

AHHHHH! It's me!!!!!!! I remember that day!!!! I felt so proud!!!